21st Century Skills & Teacher Training Program - Week 3

 Hellooo!!! 

    I am writing the 3rd week's reflection post and the training program is getting even more intense each passing week...

    As always were assigned to read some academic papers before we attend the session. The papers were from White (2015) and about digital literacy skills for teachers. While answering the reflection questions of the related chapter that we read, I realised that the more I know and improve myself about digital literacy, the more I am investing upon my career and qualifications. A lot of terms were embedded in the chapters from White (2015). I tried to highlight the most important ones for myself since I was not a blank page without a scratch even before reading the chapters...

    During the session, we discussed about some of the reflection questions in length and breadth the contribution of my friends helped me to broaden my vision at some points and I think this is the best part of communicating and working cooperatively in groups. Investigating some terminology, lightens what stands in shadow and makes it crystal clear. 

    We basically talked about what is digital literacy? What is information literacy? What is digital citizenship? What is cyberbullying and how to take action? How can we store our data? Why a contemporary teacher needs digital literacy skills and how can s/he make use of such skills? and some same kind of other questions were discussed upon and investigated critically.

    I learnt what I knew beyond. I learned many new things about copyright and license, how to search safe and reliable content on internet, how to store my data in a secured way and how to organise my citations as well. I would like to share one of the things I learnt during the session here. I did not know that there has been a Google CRAP Test (2019) to evaluate the information. The initials stand for some terms. 

C-Currency: The timeliness of the info

R-Relevance: How the info fits your needs

A-Authority: The source of the info

A-Accuracy: Reliability and correctness of the info

P-Purpose: The reason the info exists 

    The session was full of many digital tools and many terms that we need to be cautious while using and giving examples. As prospective teachers, we should know how to use digital tools and be digital and information literate in order to design creative and effective lesson plans to ensure maximum engagement for our students. We need to know our rights and how to protect ourselves while going online. Awareness-raising can save us and our students from many bad occasions. It was a quite informative session, spread the word!!!




Bilge Güral xx     

Comments